7 nights winter holiday (tents + cabins)
Trip datesAvailable from 13/3-27/3 2021
Read moreActivity Level Advanced
Group Size Max group size
Exciting expeditions in Jotunheimen
First timer or experienced skier, this backcountry-skiing expedition trip presents an unforgettable experience for any adventure-minded nature lover. Every day brings new scenery as you’ll move through the desolate winter landscape in and around the majestic Jotunheimen National Park.
You’ll transport everything you need in pulks, which is easy to use for packing when you have a lot of weight. This gives you an advantage when you would like to experience the winter environment, with both camp life and tent nights in minus degrees, since you’ll be able to bring extra thick clothing etc. It is a wonderful experience to spend the night in a tent on a snow covered mountain. It provides more options for route choices when you are not tied to cabins, and it also provides greater flexibility to stop and camp when the day has been long enough.
The trip requires no winter or skiing experience, but a big sense of adventure and some grit. A reasonable level of fitness is necessary and some outdoor experience is helpful.
- Guided backcountry skiing expedition in the mountains
- Get a thorough introduction to mountain safety and skiing techniques
- Experience tenting during the winter
- Enjoy the lovely food at Bessheim Mountain Lodge
- 3x nights in a tent
- 4x accommodation in double room at Bessheim Mountain Lodge
- All meals every day
- A professional and experienced outdoor guide who knows all the tricks for a good and warm nights sleep
- Winter camping equipment rental all days (skis, pulk, tent, stove, sleeping pad and a warm sleeping bag
AccommodationBessheim Mountain Lodge
Bessheim is beautifully situated in Jotunheimen National Park, 967 m.a.s.l., and offer accomodation in comfortable rooms, with shower and toilets in all the rooms. They serve great local food, and have a cosy enviroment for a mountain holiday.
Terms and conditionsSuptitel
- Group size: Min. 4, max. 9
- 6 pers. per tur guide
- Available from 13/3– 27/3, 2021
Preparations at Bessheim
- Testing and customizing equipment, followed by an instruction in the basic techniques of backcountry skiing.
- After lunch, you’ll prepare all the food for the trip
- You’ll start the day packing your pulk, before test skiing and learning how to make a tent camp outside in the winter mountains. You’ll need to learn the technique for days with loads of wind and minus degrees
- In the afternoon: pack the rest of the equipment and prepare for the expedition start the following day
Bessheim to Valdresflye
- Guided full-day backcountry skiing trip to Valdresflye
- You’ll make a tent camp up on the plateau, just by the foot of Jotunheimen National Park
Valdresflye to Vinstre
- Guided full-day backcountry skiing trip to across the Valdresflye plateau at 1300 m.a.s.l, before you’ll ski through the narrow mountain pass Glupen. From the pass, you’ll ski down to Lake Vinstre before making tent camp on the frozen lake.
Vinstre to Heimdalsvatnet
- Halfway on your expedition, it’s time to climb to the high mountain. You’ll start with skiing through Døradalen, and then by the Heimdalsvatnet lake. The lake lies in a small valley, with high peaks on each side; Heimdalshøe is the highest (1843 m.a.s.l).
Heimdalsvatnet to Bessheim
- The last day is also the longest. You’ll be skiing back to the Valdresflye plateau, and hopefully be enjoying the splendid views towards Leirungsdalen valley with it’s many glaciers and mountains
- At the end of the day, you can enjoy a hot shower at Bessheim mountain lodge before gathering for a splendid dinner.